Poem: "High Water Mark" by David Shumate, from High Water Mark © University of Pittsburgh Press.
High Water Mark
It's hard to believe, but at one point the water rose to this level.
No one had seen anything like it.
People on rooftops.
Cows and coffins floating through the streets.
Prisonerscarrying invalids from their rooms.
The barkeeper consoling the preacher.
A coon hound who showed up a month later forty miles downstream.
And all that mud it left behind.
You never forget times like those.
They become part of who you are.
You describe them to your grandchildren.
But they think it's just another tale in which animals talk and people live forever.
I know it's not the kind of thing you ought to say...
But I wouldn't mind seeing another good flood before I die.
It's been dry for decades.
Next time I think I'll just let go and drift downstream and see where I end up.
The Best Gifts Under $25 for Everyone on Your List (2026)
-
We found genuinely good presents for home cooks, teens, coffee lovers, and
the person who already has everything.
11 hours ago
1 comment:
Shumate is a great poet and an even better teacher!
Post a Comment