Thursday, June 29, 2006

From out of the blue

Twice already in the past week I have been approached and called by name by virtual strangers, people I have not seen in forty years. They recognize me. I struggle to recognize them.

Having spent a good deal of this glorious morning with Jordy out in Maplewood, I had gotten behind in my work. You know what happens when that happens. Somebody stops by with a lot of time on their hands and wants to visit. An unknown Suburban pulled up to my office door. Soon a strange man and a strange woman are in the doorway asking "Anybody home?" They look at me. I look at them. The gentlemen says "A familiar face." "I'm sorry," I said, "I don't recognize either of you." He tells me their name and I remember. It was eighteen-nineteen years ago. I gave their son an opportunity. Driving across Minnesota on the Interstate they had decided to take a ten mile detour to stop by to see if I was around and to thank me for giving their son what they described as a life changing opportunity. Now I have a sense for what teachers must feel like when former students return to thank them. It was heart-warming.

Is this something you do? I need to start a list.

No comments: